This tour is the BEST introduction to Manhattan’s EARLY HISTORY. On this 3-hour bike tour of Downtown and Chinatown, we will cover Manhattan’s earliest neighborhoods from Battery Park up to Chinatown, just south of Canal Street.
We start our tour traveling south along Broadway (the central artery of Manhattan’s past and present) down to Manhattan’s financial district. Once there we’ll visit Trinity Church, share the history of Wall Street and take pictures at the Wall Street Bull. Next stop Battery Park, Manhattan’s southern most point, which was originally settled by the Dutch. All the while learning how New York turned into the money mecca it is today.
We’ll go further back in time by visiting a historic tavern where George Washington gave his farewell speech after winning the American Revolution. Then it’s off to visit America’s very first restaurant, Delmonico’s steak house, where we’ll learn how this one particular restaurant changed the way we order & eat food today.
Moving further east we’ll visit South Street Seaport to see where ships once docked against the now expanded shoreline, and bare witness to current changes taking place along the waterfront today. We’ll also take you high a top the East River to a well-kept secret so you can enjoy some of the city’s most amazing views of the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges, as well as Governor’s Island.
Next it’s off to China, well Chinatown, but with the largest concentration of Chinese people in the western hemisphere you’ll feel like you jumped continents. While in Chinatown, expect to explore the historic landmarks of this busy district that blends the hustle of New York with the culture of China. We’ll visit the infamous Five Points, Bloody Angle and taste the culture with some spare ribs, soup filled dumplings AND Chinese ice cream!
Please Note, water and tips are not included in the cost of the tour.
Bike tour includes:
- Bike rentals, Helmets and Equipment
- 3 hours of biking, exploration, fun & adventure
- A taste of authentic Chinese food & Ice Cream
- Sights of Historic Battery Park & South Street Seaport
- Guidance by a safe & seasoned expert tour guide
Tour highlights include:
- Sights of Chinatown, the Five Points, South Street Seaport and Wall Street
- Stops at Wo Hop, Bayard Restaurant, the Shanghai Café Deluxe, and the original Chinatown ice cream factory
- A visit to the Bloody Angle, home of the notorious Tong Gang
- Trinity Church and Fraunces Tavern
- Sampling of Spare Ribs, Soup filled Dumplings and Ice Cream in Chinatown